Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blog Post #12

Where We Stand . Testing: No Child Left Behind
Watch the Video form a PBS Episode:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wherewestand/reports/testing-no-child-left-behind/video-report/27/

Report back on your blog how you feel and what should be done about this hot topic in education. Also tell how technology could be affected by these poor test grades and if modernized teaching techniques could be the cause for these low scores.




I firmly disagree with everything No Child Left Behind stands for. I feel it puts students at a disadvantage and it also punishes the teachers. The grading system the government uses is also unfair and needs to be modernized. The government does not take into account the students in special education or with special needs.  I know this class is based on technology in the classroom and that would be directly affected if funding was cut for poor scores. Therefore it is hard for me to go against the standard way of teaching at least until the standardized testing is changed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    I agree with your post about the No Child Left Behind. I have a special needs child and it is not only difficult for him to learn in the "same class setting" but it is especially difficult for his teachers. I understand the concept but feel it is not a correct fit for our children or our teachers.

    As far as the testing scores. My son's school had very low scores about three years ago. Shortly after those scores were posted every class received Promethean Boards. This year during the PTO meeting the test scores are the highest they have ever been. I'm not saying the Promethean Boards are the reason but it is a coincidence. I also found it strange that the scores for Special Education was extremely low. Could this be because of the "same room" technique that No Child Left Behind represents?

    I think technology is wonderful and our children need to use it as much as possible. Why? Society is making it mandatory.

    I think overall, the incredible amounts of testing that the US does is ridiculous. I agree with Dr. Strange; we should not teach our students by using the "burp back theory". These "tests" are forcing us to have our teachers cram facts down our student's throats. Is this really effective?

    I also think funding should not be cut due to low scores. That's even more ridiculous. Low scores says to me that the schools may not have everything they need in order to make "the grade". Taking their funding away would only cripple the school further thus hurting our children and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Barry,

    You have really chosen a really touchy topic and I think this is a great thing to think about for all teachers. Many teachers feel the way you do about this topic, but I can see where the principal in the video is coming from.

    Good choice Barry,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete