Sunday, September 12, 2010

Is It Okay To Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Karl Fisch had some great points about the repercussions for a teacher that is not technologically literate but I feel they are to stiff for teachers of this generation. Now for young teachers or soon to be teachers I do think there should be a requirement for being able to work with technology. I just do not think today's teachers (age 40 and up) should not have to relearn their teaching philosophy. For starters they already have so much on their plates it is not funny. I just do not see how we can expect a high school coach for example to learn a new teaching style when he works a 15 hour day during the in season and barely has time for his family. It is just unfair to them and their students.

I know I have played devil's advocate in my past few post saying I would rather have better teachers than better technology in classrooms. I just feel that way because it is hard to replace a great teacher but it is easy to replace a Smart Board or a computer. I just feel those should be tools used by teachers but the class should not revolve around them. Person to person interaction is still the best way to learn (that's just me).

No comments:

Post a Comment