Sunday, October 3, 2010

BLOG POST #6

NETWORKED STUDENT
The networked student is a new idea and term for me. I always kind of felt I used every resource I could but I guess I was not using enough to be considered a networked student. Once again I am not sure I i totally agree with this. I feel a teacher should have a hand in every part of their students development. I do not agree with the hands off approach. I know personally some the best teacher I have ever had in both college and high school were hands on teacher and were their for me whenever I need them.

I do agree with being connected to other student from around the World but their is a time and a place for that and it should be used sparingly. Relying solely on interacting through a web cam or e-mail will cause students to not interact on a one on one level. When that happens you lose out on your true people skills. People skills have recently fell to the waist side in the past few years and I think it is just said. Take for example the other day I saw where they now offer Public Speaking as an On-Line class. How is that possible? You need people to have "PUBLIC" speaking.

So in reguards to the question "Does a networked student really need a teacher?" I firmly believe they do. They need them for to guide them through their academic years and to prepare them for the real world.
http://techliterateteacher.blogspot.com/2009/06/networked-student.html


PLE & PLN
PLN and PLE are both new terms to me. You must have a PLE to have a PLN. The PLN is a the group of people you use in your PLE. PLN goes more along the lines with the Networked Student. Any good student should already be using a PLE. Through my research and discoveries an PLE is just being organized and using more technology than they did in the past. So looking at it from the big picture PLN and PLE both go bother and are the wave of the future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEls3tq5wIY



THE MACHINE IS CHANGING US
Yes the machine is changing us. We as a civilization are always changing so this is not a shocker to me. If we are not changing then we are not evolving and we are getting passed up. Everyone is their own person and wants to be treated that way. The machine is the reason why everyone thinks they should be treated in a special way but they must understand you have to earn the right to be treated special. So the Machine is changing us both in a good way and in a bad way. How will the Machine change you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09gR6VPVrpw&feature=player_embedded

1 comment:

  1. Great post Barry!

    I don't think "The Networked Student is necessarily advocating a hands off approach. The role of the teacher is changing. In this case its like Dr. Strange says the teacher is more of a coach. The teacher's role is more about being supportive, giving advice and guidance. The student is more in control of his or her own learning. A good example is the student who showed her personal learning environment. Now she's in control. SS

    ReplyDelete